Meatloaf with puff pastry
Here we are again, at home because of #covid19 and with a desperate need to keep busy during the day: so why not try a recipe that requires more than the usual 10 minutes that I propose?
Meatloaf in shortcrust pastry: easier to prepare than to write the recipe completely!
Remember, if the usual scrounger for lunch or dinner should come, this time you will have to send it back to his home, #stayathome alone!
INGREDIENTS for 2 people:
For the minced meat:
• 250 gr. minced beef from adult cattle
• 150 gr. of grated pecorino
• 1 sprig of fresh parsley
• a handful of fennel seeds (OPTIONAL)
• Salt to taste
• black pepper to taste
• 1 coffee glass with partially skimmed milk
• 1 egg
To complete the recipe:
- 1 roll of puff pastry brisèe
- 2 eggs
- 4 large slices of mortadella
- 150 gr of sliced fontina cheese
- 150 gr of fresh or frozen spinach
- 150 gr of grated Parmesan cheese
- OPTIONAL: 2 tablespoons of acacia honey and 4 tablespoons of mustard
- black pepper
- first, if the spinach is frozen, bring a pot of salted water to a boil
- bubbles? Dip the still frozen spinach and wait for it to boil again, 15 minutes later, drain and set aside
- if the spinach is fresh, then take a wok pan, two strands of extra virgin olive oil and 1 clove of garlic (optional) and place them inside and close with the lid. On a moderate flame until they are wilted. Remember to turn them from time to time.
prepare the minced meat
- take a large bowl, put the minced meat
- wash and chop the fresh parsley and obviously add it to the bowl
- add all the grated pecorino
- put a whole egg
- salt (just a spoonful) and 2 pinches of black pepper
- if you want, add some fennel seeds, a pinch of nutmeg and one of powdered rosemary
- take a coffee cup with milk inside and add it to all the ingredients
- at this point, knead the whole mixture with your hands for 6/7 minutes until the mixture is compact.
Let’s start the gathering:
- in the meantime, prepare two hard-boiled eggs
- open the puff pastry
- OPTIONAL: prepare a sauce with two spoons of honey and 4 of mustard and brush the puff pastry
- place two slices of mortadella and brush with the prepared sauce
- lay the mixture of minced meat leaving 1 centimeter on each side, forming a rectangle
• put 2 slices of mortadella on top of the dough (why? To isolate the dough in the center and not let out the liquid of the spinach even if they have been squeezed and the fontina melted and thus keep the center moist)
• squeeze the spinach (both fresh and frozen) and spread it over the dough
- put the sliced fontina cheese at this point
- at this point shell the hard-boiled eggs and cut them in two. Place them in an Indian row in the center of the rectangle
• sprinkle with a little black pepper.
NB: no salt is added because the meat mixture is already salty and you risk eating a bomb of salt
At this point, helping yourself with the parchment paper under the puff pastry, close everything creating a cylinder, which will then be closed inside the parchment paper as if it was a candy.
• at this point, turn on the oven at 200 degrees and insert the meatloaf into a pan, and cook for about 30 minutes.
• 30 minutes passed? Take the pan out of the oven, use oven gloves I recommend! Open the baking paper slowly and finish cooking with the grill on the top for about 10 minutes.
• at this point remove the meatloaf, let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
• cut it into slices and use dishes as a base
The wine that I recommend as a pairing is a KEPOS 2018 – AMPELEIA.
Obviously you should not have liver problems or to be an abstainer.
“Send us your personal recipe“
Enjoy your meal!