ARANCINO of the Sicilian hinterland
Here, as promised the recipe of my grandmother who used to make arancini , following the recipe handed down by her ancestors!
Obviously this is not a quick recipe, it takes about 2 days of preparation, but for those who have a little ‘time and want to cook this delicacy, here are all the steps documented through photos from me.
Of course, as in all recipes, and in this belief that you will need it, you will have to buy the ingredients, unless for a casual and fortuitous coincidence, (which I do not believe in this case) you do not already have them in your pantry kitchen.
INGREDIENTS for 20 arancini:
- 400 gr. of peas
- 250 gr. of minced veal
- 250 gr. of minced pork
- a few clumps of chopped celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 large bottles of tomato sauce
- extra virgin olive oil
- Hot pepper q.b
- Salt to taste
- black pepper q.b.
- 2 bottles of peanut oil
- 500 gr. of breadcrumbs
for the stuffing:
- 4 eggs
- 1 caciotta
- 800 gr. of Arborio rice
- 1 bag of saffron
- 200 gr. of pecorino cheese
- Salt to taste.
for the batter:
- 00 flour
- first of all it is necessary to prepare the meat sauce according to the Sicilian recipe
- cut the onion into strips
- take a large pot and put two turns of olive oil
- when it is hot, add the chopped onion, a sprinkling of black pepper and a chilli pepper (for those who want to)
- add the chopped celery and the carrots cut into small and thin washers
- sauté for 10 minutes over high heat, then add the two mixes of minced meat and frozen peas
- stir and leave to brown for another 10 minutes without lid always on high heat
- after ten minutes add half a glass of white wine and cover with the lid
- after ten minutes pour the two bottles of tomato sauce and put the flame to the minimum
My grandmother’s advice: add to each bottle of water until it reaches half the bottle: shake well with the cap and then pour it into the pot. Repeat the operation also with the other bottle)
- at this point cook the sauce with the lid slightly raised to let the vapors evaporate (and inebriate you with its perfume) for about 4 and a half hours. The result should be about the same as in the picture: keep in mind that the sauce, as my grandmother says, must be very tight, so do not be afraid if you see it dry out too much.
remember to turn it with a ladle about every 15 minutes to not make it thicken on the bottom otherwise you can throw it
THE RISOTTO TO THE SAFFRON:
- take a pot and pour some water (not too much).
- add 25 grams of butter to the water.
- bring to a boil and add the salt
- as soon as it boils, pour the rice
- after 10 minutes add a bag of saffron and mix everything.
- cook until the water is almost completely reduced
- restricted water? Then add all the pecorino and mix vigorously, as if you had to whisk
- turn off the heat and let it cool for half an hour taking care to mix it from time to time
- half an hour? Then arrange it on baking dishes or baking trays, in order to make it thicken. (The rice must be
- congealed to make it easier to compose the rice balls, the arancini, and do not let them open during the frying phase
- in the meantime, boil 4 eggs to make them boiled. (Trick: when the eggs are ready, dip them in water with ice, this will make it easier to remove the shell)
Did it pass 24 HOURS? THEN NOW YOU CAN BEGIN THE ARANCINI!
- First of all, make the batter that you will need to dip the arancini before frying.
- take 10 tablespoons of flour 00 and place them in a large bowl
- pour hot water and start mixing.
- add water until you get a liquid mixture
- at this point cut the caciotta into small cubes
- cut the hard-boiled eggs into small cubes
you have everything you need!
Take a bowl and pour a little water, you will need to wet your hands and compose the arancino
- moisten your hands in the water and take some rice and place it on the palm of your hand, make it like a bowl.
- put a tablespoon of meat sauce in the center
- add two caciotta nuts and a hard-boiled egg nut
- take a little rice with your other hand and cover the sauce
- at this point, form a ball trying to spin it between the palms of the hands and immerse it in the batter that you have
- previously prepared with water and flour
- pass them in the bowl with breadcrumbs
- at this point put them on a baking dish and continue until you have finished the rice!
you should do about 20 arancini, but this depends on the size of your hands and how big you have decided to make them.
HAVE YOU FINISH THE ARANCINI PREPARATION? GOOD!
- ake a small pot and pour a bottle of peanut oil and heat it over high heat
the temperature that should reach is 170 degrees. How to understand it? Put some breadcrumbs and if it starts frying, the oil is ready!
- We start to fry the arancini! Put them down with the help of a ladle
- As soon as they are golden they will be ready!
- The advice is to fry two at a time, otherwise the oil cools and is not good
The wine that I recommend as a pairing is a NERO D’AVOLA DOC. Obviously you should not have liver problems or to be an abstainer.
“Send us your personal recipe“
Enjoy your meal!